Tuesday, October 30, 2012
My big little helper
Allie's always been interested in helping. Since she started walking at eight months she's just always toddled along behind me as I do chores and has always been willing to do whatever small task I give her. It's become her job to put away the silverware whenever someone is clearing the dishwasher. Something that's totally blown me away, though, is the depth of her understanding. She's only 14 months old, but she's always watching and taking things in. She isn't really talking much, but she signs pretty well, and it's obvious she understands what we're saying to her. Yesterday she surpirsed me more than once with this understanding.
While Melody and Katie were working on their morning chores I took Allie into the playroom so I could get it straightened up. I figured she'd play while I cleaned, but instead she sat down and started cleaning up one of the magnet dolls. Once she had put all the magnet pieces away she put the bag down and moved on to the next thing. I was in shock! I can't get my four and six year olds do work that independently!
Later, when I was putting away groceries she found the oatmeal and brought it to me and signed please. So I helped her make some. She scooped the oatmeal and poured it in the bowl, she stirred the water in and then pushed the buttons I showed her on the microwave. Then she sat down and ate the entire bowl by herself.
Right after that I was working on taking out all the garbage. I had pulled the kitchen garbage out and tied it off and left it by the garage door while Melody and Katie helped me gather up all the other garbage in the house. When I came back Allie had dragged it half way through the garage. Apparently she was on her way to put it in the dumpster.
Then while Katie was working on hanging up her clothes Allie handed her the hangers one by one then carried the clothes into Melody to be hung up. She did all of this with no prompting! We all encourage her to help us whenever we can and apparently its making a difference. This girl is one smart cookie!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment