Thursday, January 31, 2013

A love for learning

Melody is like the perfect homeschool student. She LOVES to learn. We fight here and there about school, but its more about the power struggle than the learning. We fought about reading and picking books that weren't too easy. Finally I have in and let her read whatever as long as she was reading for at least twenty minutes a day. After that she suddenly decided she wanted to read chapter books! I'm more than certain she really didn't understand what she was reading at first, but she was practicing and that's what mattered the most to me. This was a couple of months ago and now I rarely see her without a book in her hands. Can I just tell you how unbelievably happy this makes me?!



This is how she approaches all if her learning. If I leave her to her own devices she seeks out knowledge. Today I left them with some work to finish up and instructions to take a break after they were done while I put Allie down for her nap. When I came back melody had pulled out some animal books my parents brought us on their last trip down. When I asked her what she was up to she showed me her paper. She had found a page about king cobras and had started writing down the facts that she thought were interesting. I love all the opportunities for self guided learning that homeschool has given us!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Smart girl, my Mellie!!!!!!