Thursday, September 29, 2011

Birth Story

Now that I've had a chance to get some distance from my delivery I feel like I can share our story a little better. At first I think I was just completely shell shocked, and then I was lost in a love cloud with my little girl and now I'm finally getting back to earth!

At about three in the morning on the 25th my water finally broke. I woke Jared up to let him know and put him back to bed. I needed him to be well rested! At this point my contractions started too, thankfully! I was so worried I would end up being induced after all my plans to the contrary. I did a bunch of mom things that I wanted done before I was down and out for a while. Laundry, dishes, making a lunch for everyone, shaving lol, ect. Then I tried to get a little more sleep in also. Needless to say it didn't happen.

When the girls got up around six I told them their sister was coming today so they had to hurry and get ready to go. They were SO funny! I've never seen them so cooperative! After dropping Mellie off at school and Katie off at our friends house we headed into Denton. What was normally a 25 minute drive ended up being closer to 40. Yay! At that point my contractions were only about 5 minutes apart so I knew things were moving along nicely.

Once we got to the birthing center I was only a five so we kicked back and tried to relax. We munched on some food, walked around the park right across the street. Jared nerded on the computer while I walked and squatted trying to get things moving. I really didn't want to be there all night so whatever I could do to move things along I was all for! I felt like I was handling the contractions really well. Between Jared, Betty (the midwife), and Patty (the birth assistant) I was breezing through them! I think I got a little cocky, because later when they started picking up and I wasn't getting the break in between I started panicking a little. Jared was right beside me the entire time holding my hand and talking me down every time I started to lose it. He was quite simply amazing!

Once she started to come it only lasted about 10 minutes or so. I was freaking out so much that I pretty much wanted to be done. It took all of about four pushes to get her here. I have to say it was pretty much the most painful thing I've ever experienced, but at this point I barely remember it. I was hoping I could be like my mom who had three out four of her children naturally and breezed through it, but no such luck. I would have to say though that comparing my first two deliveries to this one, this one was a MUCH better experience and I'm NEVER delivering in a hospital again!

Once she was here Betty handed her to me and we snuggled for a few minutes, then Jared cut the cord and they wrapped her up and we snuggled some more. She was ready to eat right away! So after we spent nearly 40 minutes nursing Betty finally got to weigh her and check her over. By about 6  we were ready to go home. I couldn't have planned the day better! Got the kids ready and off for the day, had a baby, went home and put the kids to bed! lol! I'm really glad I didn't have to stay at the hospital mostly because I was more comfortable at home, but also because I would've spent the whole time missing my older girls and wondering if they were ok. It was just better for us all around to be home together.

So far everyone is adjusting pretty well. Allie's had some issues with gas so I've had to cut back on my dairy. If you know me at all you know how committed I am to nursing to cut out my daily bowl of cereal! Melody asked if she could take pictures to show all her friends. She said when she was done sharing everyone clapped for her which she thought was pretty much amazing! And Katie tells everyone she meets that she has a baby sister named Allie now and she doesn't live in mommy's tummy any more. Needless to say we're all pretty smitten and feeling very blessed for our newest addition!

1 comment:

Mrs N said...

Great birth story! I'm glad everything's going well for you. Charlotte's super gassy too...maybe I should try cutting back on dairy. Boo!