Ok, now that I've got that out I can move on :) Jared is the most infuriating, impish, frustrating, hilarious man that I have ever met. This is why I married him. One thing I love about him is how hard he has tried to embrace my love for holidays. All holidays. I simply love a reason to celebrate. However, birthdays are my absolute favorite! I love decorating even if no one is coming over. I love making that day all about how happy we are that that person is part of our lives. I'm not gonna lie, though, I'm mostly in it for the cake :)
Since he has come to embrace my love for holidays he has gotten increasingly clever in the things he does. For my 21st birthday he surprised me with a road trip and a fun day in Columbus, OH where we got to see an awesome performance of Phantom of the Opera. Then there was the birthday that he spent all morning making a cake with our one and two year old helping (hilarious!). Then handed me this elaborately wrapped gift. Upon opening it I found a 20oz MtDew. My favorite, however, might be the year we were dead broke so he pulled together the parts he had and got a working computer out of them. Then he put it up for trade on Craig's list and managed to get me a kitchenaid mixer!
This year, I have to admit, was pretty creative. And the kids got a kick out of it too. First he took the day off which is kind of a treat in itself in my book. Then while I was sleeping in he got me flowers and had the kids help make me breakfast in bed. I've never gotten breakfast in bed before so it was very special to me as my babies sat on the bed and explained all the things they had helped with. Then he and the girls had put together a treasure hunt to guide me to my gift. It was adorable. Isaak got involved and since he's one of those roll playing geeks he found things around the house and he and the girls dressed up like...well I don't really know what. Katie looked like a Nephite, Melody had her ninja mask on and Isaak was wearing a lamp shade and talking in a cryptic voice. Whatever they were it was super entertaining!
First Isaak read me this poem:
Sad to say, but I swear it's true!The treasure goblin has stolen your present...oh poo.But, all is not lost because you see...treasure goblins love all sorts of trickery.He's hidden some clues around the housethat may point to your presents whereabouts.So, without further au duelet's get on with your very first clue...
Then Katie the Nephite handed me Clue #1. It said:
I'll give you an easy one since it's your very first time,One of our very first dates was watching the sunset at the Bountiful Temple, which is why we were sealed there. Which also explains the throughout all time clue. The next clue was hidden behind our picture of the Bountiful Temple.
and I've not yet thought up a really good rhyme.
Your next clue is hidden behind
a memory that will last throughout all time,
and if that's no good...I'm sure you can guess
the place where you had your most memorable sunset.
Clue #2 said:
Hooray you did it! So onto the next clue!Ok, I admit, this one had me stumped. I had NO idea what this was talking about. Then Jared gives me the hint that he kissed her all the time in high school. I was totally shocked. I mean, really! It's my birthday and he's talking about a girl he kissed in highschool! After a few more hints it dawned on me. His Saxophone! He always referred to his saxophone as his 'baby' in highschool so I guess that would make it a girl, right? lol! Clue #3 was rolled up in the bell of his sax.
This one's a tad harder. There's no need to stress,
because the rest are the ones that will put you to the test.
Your next clue is hidden in a 'belle'...
one that I can say kisses quite well.
Her curves so smooth and voice so fair,
but no worries, she doesn't compare!
Clue #3 said:
So that wasn't as bad as I thought you might think,I actually got this one really fast, which is funny since it makes no sense! I was going to look in the crate I have as a stool in the bathroom, but then Jared commented that apparently goblins might call other boxes crates. Isaak is turning him into a roll play nerd! Then I remembered the clock we have yet to hang up is on top of my hope chest and that's a box right? Sure enough Clue #4 was in my hope chest.
but hey we're only coming up on clue #3.
Look at the time I hope it's not too late...
so let me just throw this clue into this crate!
Clue #4 said:
I hope you've enjoyed our little game of riddles,We've been going over the stories about Wicked King Noah, King Limhi, Alma and Abinidi with the girls this last week so I immediately thought of the scriptures. I don't know about you, but we have several sets of scriptures in our house. Jared had to guide me a little, but eventually I figured out he was talking about the book shelf in general. He had bought me a book I had been wanting and put it on the bookshelf. Unfortunately the cover looks just like the covers to the other books in the series so I didn't even notice it! Jared finally had to tell me. He then tells me that my final clue is in the book.
but my head is really starting to hurt a little.
So, let's wrap this up, and finish our game...
because I have other things I wanted to do today.
Your present is hidden in front of your eyes...
surrounded by villains and heroes alike.
It said:
It's simpler than you imagine, but harder than you think.After that is eight rows of numbers, then...
This is only part of the puzzle that you happen to seek.
...when untangled and deciphered I'm sure you'll agreeAll those numbers were page numbers. He had highlighted words on each page number her gave me. After putting it all together it was a really sweet and slightly quirky love letter. I love that man.
these words mean more than the pages you see.
1 comment:
That is adorable :)
I'm so glad you had a great birthday.
We love you!
Post a Comment