Friday, August 24, 2012

school room!

I can not begin to tell you how blessed I feel to have an entire room to dedicate to school. In my researching homeschool I was finding a lot of families that just did school at the kitchen table. I was envisioning never being able to eat dinner at the table again! Then we found this house and I was over the moon! Not only did I get the playroom I wanted for the kids, but I got a craft room AND a school room! I feel like everything is sort of falling into place for us to be successful at this adventure we're heading into.

Here's a glimpse of the diy projects we've been working on. Everything is turning out great! 

 Melody and Katie did a great job helping Dad add some fun color to the room. I am in LOVE with this blue! That wall to the right is where we want to put a cork board. We're probably going to have to buy a couple of rolls of the roll out cork and mount it on MDF. Then of course we'll frame it out like the white board :)

Here's the girls desk complete with their almost computers! We mounted the screens, but Jared's still working on formatting the computers he has for them. We're going to put another five cube cabinet on the wall above the screens where we can stash the wireless keyboards and mice we found for a steal. The cute little hanging cups will hold markers, crayons, pencils, glue and scissors for each of them. I have plans to use dark red vinyl to put labels or maybe monograms on them to add a little color.

The fabric looks AH. MA.ZING. against that blue! I liked it when we bought it, but once we got the benches put together and against the wall I was in love!
 
Our $30 white board. It's shower board from Lowe's that comes in 4'x8' pieces for around $15. We had them cut it down for us and then Jared put up the trim. That blue you see is painter tape. We're planning on painting the trim a green.

On that wall to the right of the white board we're going to put book shelves. We had thought about doing the spice racks, but then we found an amazing idea where they took a wooden crate, cut it in half and mounted it to the wall. Jared's going to make them longer so they fill up the the whole wall. We'll probably do two or three, we haven't decided yet. Next on the list is valances for the windows. Color suggestions?

We have a few more things to do, but they'll have to wait until the next check. That and we're all a little burned out on projects for now. I'll post more pictures once we get the room finished!

No comments: