Tuesday, January 5, 2010

ACK! The SUNBEAMS!!

So for the last...as long as I can remember...I have been in primary. It's like I'm not mature enough to go to relief society or something o.O That being said I got a whole new batch of sunbeams this last Sunday! The best part is my little Melody is one of them. I knew it would be a challenge teaching her. I tend to be much harder on her than on other kids because I know what she's capable of, so I'm really having to take a giant step back and just let her be one of the group instead of my daughter. I'm calling it a growing experience. :)

Things started off well with a call Saturday night letting me know the couple I team teach with would not be there, could I please plan a lesson in the next 12 hours and we'll see if we can find you some substitutes. I wasn't holding out much hope on the substitutes. I mean who in their right mind would want to do the very first Sunday of the year with 7 three year olds?!? Fortunately they did find one, and my loving husband took pity on me and offered to be the second. Let me tell you, it took all three of us plus another person in the presidency to get them through singing time. Jared spent a lot of his time retrieving one little boy in particular, while the other sub rocked the crying one. I managed to keep the rest of the heathens children happy and quiet until we got to class.

At this point I handed out a snack. We're only supposed to give them a small snack for the first few months to help them prepare for the shock of not getting snack at all next year. I quickly realized that feeding them was much easier than the alternative, trying to keep them quiet and from killing each other! So needless to say the snack that was supposed to last me several weeks is now gone! Their tummies aren't that big! Where does it go!?!

Finally, after much eating, singing and coloring, 1:58 rolled around. We divided them up and started out in search of the parents. Hopefully next week my team teachers will be back. Maybe I'll have to drop a few hints about how much Jared enjoyed being in primary with us. We really could use another adult. As it stands now we're grossly out numbered!

Despite the obvious struggles I really enjoy teaching primary. When I was first called back into primary after we moved here my first thought was 'SERIOUSLY!' I mean I was barely managing to handle my own three year old, why would Heavenly Father think it would be a good idea to give me other people's three year olds to deal with? However, through this calling I've learned a thing or two and I'm actually doing better with Melody now than I was before. Funny thing the way that happens, huh? That's why I've just learned to humor Him and go with it. Inevitably I'm going to learn something important and grow in ways that would otherwise not have been possible. It's a process. I'm learning to accept it.

P.S. To all you moms that read this who have a heathen child in my class I really do love them! I do! :D

4 comments:

Lexi said...

I bet that's fun. Good luck with the new year of teaching the monsters. :)

Melissa said...

Chuckles! Gotta love Primary!

Liz H said...

I LOVE SUNBEAMS!!! I would do Sunbeams for the rest of my life if they'd let me.

I always took in a roll of butcher paper (or a design from the butcher paper, like a tree or something to fit the lesson) then I'd let the kids pick out of the basket to put up flowers around the boarder or birds/butterflies/ladybugs when we talked about animals.

Oh I love Sunbeams and miss them so much. I need about 10 to make me feel soooo happy!

Enjoy it all! It's so fun to see those Sunbeams in 3-8 years! :-)

Liz H said...

Once I made a piano keyboard from butcher paper and black construction paper for the black keys. I made it long enough that it went across two walls. We played piano for almost 20 min.

Did I tell you that I LOVE SUNBEAMS!!! ;-)