Today Melody tromped into my bathroom where I was cleaning to show me the slug she found under a log in the back yard. I had to take in all there was to see for just a moment. She was wearing a dress up skirt she made last year, her winter boots, her vampire teeth (a recent obsession) and a dandelion necklace she had just made with neat and tidy pigtails holding a slimy slug in her hand. All I could think in that moment was how very grateful I am to be able to give them this childhood. I'm so grateful for the guidance and promptings that led us to the decision to homeschool. For Jared's overwhelming support and willingness to work so hard to ensure not only that I can stay home with them, but that we have everything we need to make learning fun. I'm grateful my girls have the room to explore who they are and what they like and don't like and become the individuals they want to be.
Wednesday, April 9, 2014
Creating room for them to explore
The thing I think I've loved most about homeschool is being able to give my girls the room to be who they are. There's no competition between girls to have the cutest outfit or the best hair here in our home. The societal pressures are removed and they can be exactly who they feel like being that day. They can be moody and retreat outside to work on an assignment, or be involved and excited about a recent interest. I lose track of the number of times Katie runs to her room to cry for a minute (lots of emotions in that one right now) but it's ok because we're not on a tight schedule. They have room to be little and figure out how to deal with their thoughts and feelings.
Today Melody tromped into my bathroom where I was cleaning to show me the slug she found under a log in the back yard. I had to take in all there was to see for just a moment. She was wearing a dress up skirt she made last year, her winter boots, her vampire teeth (a recent obsession) and a dandelion necklace she had just made with neat and tidy pigtails holding a slimy slug in her hand. All I could think in that moment was how very grateful I am to be able to give them this childhood. I'm so grateful for the guidance and promptings that led us to the decision to homeschool. For Jared's overwhelming support and willingness to work so hard to ensure not only that I can stay home with them, but that we have everything we need to make learning fun. I'm grateful my girls have the room to explore who they are and what they like and don't like and become the individuals they want to be.
Today Melody tromped into my bathroom where I was cleaning to show me the slug she found under a log in the back yard. I had to take in all there was to see for just a moment. She was wearing a dress up skirt she made last year, her winter boots, her vampire teeth (a recent obsession) and a dandelion necklace she had just made with neat and tidy pigtails holding a slimy slug in her hand. All I could think in that moment was how very grateful I am to be able to give them this childhood. I'm so grateful for the guidance and promptings that led us to the decision to homeschool. For Jared's overwhelming support and willingness to work so hard to ensure not only that I can stay home with them, but that we have everything we need to make learning fun. I'm grateful my girls have the room to explore who they are and what they like and don't like and become the individuals they want to be.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment