Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Learning Useful Skills

One of my favorite things about homeschooling is being able to tailor our lessons to what interests the girls right now. Since I do a lot of sewing the girls naturally want to be involved and make fun things for themselves. We've been doing small sewing lessons off and on for a while, just getting them used to sewing straight lines and familiarizing them with the machine itself. They've both really been enjoying it, so when I decided to just do simple skirts for Easter I thought it would be fun to let them help make them.

Melody has been sewing longer than Katie so she was able to do a lot more on her skirt. After we decided on the fabric she wanted I had her watch a how to video on one of my favorite blogs MADE .
It made it so much easier for her to see really quickly what the steps were and how she needed to do each one. After she finished the video she was off and running. I did a little guiding here and there, but she did a good portion of it by herself. I'm not sure who was more proud, me or her!


Katie was able to help me pick the fabric and cut everything out, but my procrastination ended up causing me to sew it quickly Saturday night! She was happy to be involved and to practice her sewing cards. She's such a sweet girl. When I told her I was going to have to sew it she said, "it's ok mom! I'll get better and I'll make it myself next year!" I just love her happy, positive attitude when she's learning something new.



No comments: