Saturday, August 2, 2008

Melody's Project


So I've come to the conclusion that I'm a bad mom. It's been so hot here lately that we haven't been able to leave the house beyond the quick trip to walmart, so I was browsing online looking for project ideas to keep melody busy. As I'm looking I come across a blog ran by a SAHM of 5 kids! First of all that made me feel incompetent because I can barely handle my two! Then she proceeds to blog about all the fun projects she does everyday with her kids and how she structures the day because it helps them feel secure when they have structure.
As I'm reading this I begin to feel worse and pretty soon I have myself convinced that my children's eternal salvation depends on having structure and doing crafts! So at this point I close the laptop and go find 'project' materials. I pull out paper and letters and glue and fancy scissors and card stock for cutting out shapes. I decide we should make a crown because all little girls like wearing princess crowns right. About two minutes into it I discovered melody had no interest in making a crown and ripped the first one I made. when I gave her shapes and letters to glue on she rubbed glue on the back just like I showed her and then stuck them to my carpet. It needed some sprucing us anyway! Finally I get her to find the letters for her name and with some help she got them in the right order. We managed to glue them onto the crown and the she promptly went back to gluing shapes to the carpet. After we finished she had no interest in putting it on until Dad came home and raved about how beautiful it was. Today she brought it to me and asked me to help her put it on, I did, and then she disappeared. I followed her to see what she was up to and found her admiring herself in front of the mirror we have yet to hang up! I ran and grabbed the camera, but she hates it when I take her picture (she poses for Dad: ) so I had to snap fast before she got the crown off. I only got two but I thought they turned out cute. I guess I'll have to risk their eternal salvation because I don't have the energy for anymore projects this week!

No comments: