Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Learning about the Fire Station

Today we had our midweek activity at the fire station. We don't usually go to the midweeks because I don't ever have the car, but I really wanted to take the kids to this one! My friend Gretchen offered to take us in her van. I always swore I'd never have a van, but I think the day will come *sigh*.

To start off Melody was grumpy because she woke up at 6:30. She woke up, not me. I put the TV on PBS before I go to bed so she can just get up and turn it on and leave me alone. Katie just thought this place was a lost land just waiting for her to explore every inch of it. She kept running to the truck trying to get under it, or in it. The firemen were very nice and kept retrieving her for me.

Melody did a god job answering the fireman's questions. I didn't know she knew what 911 was! I guess I probably have PBS to thank for that. She also learned how to stop drop and roll, the other kids had a blast practicing, but she wouldn't do it, I think the firemen were making her nervous, which is very odd for my overly social little girl.

Here are a few pictures I was able to get when I wasn't chasing Katie down!

Sitting together watching the fireman get dressed in his fire suit.




Melody had about 6 million questions and wouldn't stop asking them long enough to listen. I finally had to tell her I wasn't answering any more questions until after the fireman was done talking.

He had all the kids come up and give him a high five so they would see that he wasn't scary, but Melody wasn't too sure. As you can see Katie charged right in, she wanted to play with all the doo-da's on his jacket! Once Melody saw her sister and all her friends up there she decided it was OK and went up, gave him a high five, then ran back to me as fast as she could.


They let the kids walk through the seating area of the truck. One of the things that is nice about having a church play group is we all know each other pretty well and we all know each others kids so no one has a problem jumping in and helping if someone needs it! Sharma was so good to help my kids get on the truck so I could get a picture.


Once she was in there, Katie had no interest in coming out. WAY too much to look at and play with to leave! He actually had to get in and bring her back out!

Later he let the girls go back in again while the other kids explored the outside of the truck. This time Melody took Katie's hand and led her back out. I almost got a picture, but it blurred! I was so mad!

We had a really good time exploring the fire station and learning about fire safety! Thanks Gretchen for taking pity on us and letting us bum a ride! :)

2 comments:

Lexi said...

that looks super fun :) I bet it was a blast.

Ydais said...

I'm glad to see you in the pic with the girls! How cute!!!