Sunday, February 14, 2010

Happy Valentines Day!!

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I. LOVE. HOLIDAYS! However, I'm feeling kind of disenchanted with the over commercialization that seems to be ruining them. So I've decided that we are going to start enjoying the true meaning of all the holidays. With Valentines day the girls and I talked about taking time to let those around us know that we care. I want the memories my girls have from their childhood to be filled with fun activities and enjoying time with one another rather than the things that were bought for them.

This year I hosted the valentines party for our preschool like I mentioned in my last post and I wanted to post the valentines Melody made. She was pretty proud of them. I wanted to get googly eyes, but we didn't make it that far. This one used to have a beak, but Katie wanted to help too lol! I found the paper piecing pattern here. I cut them all out and let her glue it together and write her name on the back. Mostly she just wrote letters, but I think since there were only 5 kids they all knew who it was from. :)


One of the things I remember from when I was little was my mom always made shirts for us to wear on the different holidays. I still have several. About a month ago I found some solid colored shirts for two dollars! I had to grab a couple. I think they turned out pretty cute! I just took strips of t-shirts I had cut up for another project, did a running stitch down the middle, gathered and sewed it on. It was pretty simple, but I love the way it looks! It makes me think of fluffy frosting.


To finish off the day I made Jared's favorite pancakes. I colored them pink and put the batter into a gallon zip lock bag, snipped off the tip and used it to pipe heart shaped pancakes right onto the griddle. They were super yummy!

Now onto St Patrick's day!

3 comments:

Lexi said...

LOVE the shirts! :D

Jinny and Mick said...

You crafty little thing! You inspire me to do something more with my time! I am so impressed that Melody could read-again, inspiration! I've been so bad at pre-school since Annabelle was born.

Long Family said...

So cute!! I love them!!!