My dear little Melody has been a challenge in nearly every way, but every so often she stops me in my tracks. Yesterday was one of those days. Let me start out by saying for those of you that may not know I am REALLY bad at being pregnant! For nine solid months I'm pretty much crazy, more so than normal (my family is all nodding at this point). The minute the baby is born I'm totally good again, but for now my kids are getting to know the 'crazy'.
We've been pretty much homebound the last few days due to the ice rink that has taken up residence outside my house. I've been letting the kids go out on the porch to play just to get some fresh air, then we have hot chocolate when they come back in to thaw them out. Katie insisted on having hers in a mug so I told her to sit and not play because I didn't want it spilled all over. Three seconds later the hot chocolate was in a puddle on my carpet. I don't really know why I got mad since our carpet is pretty much beyond saving, but mad is what happened.
After Katie had slunk off to her room to change her clothes Melody came over to me and said, "Mom, after your done cleaning we need to have a talk." I always get mildly annoyed when she does this because that's what Jared does to her when she's acting irrational. But I humored her, finished up and sat down to chat. She started off by putting her hand on my shoulder and looking me right in the eye.
Then she said, "Mom, I know you're working really hard to grow a baby and it's not easy, but you have to speak more kindly. Katelynn is really sad now and she thinks you don't like her because you yelled at her."
Boy was I floored. That is exactly what I say to them when they start fighting. I never thought I'd see the day that my four year old would make me feel chastised. After apologizing to her and Katie I took some time to think over what had just happened. Jared is really big on parenting by example and I think we do a pretty good job, but I think sometimes I struggle to remember just how closely they are watching me. Especially since I'm with them day in and day out. I'm so grateful that I was sent this sweet little spirit to help me remember my job when the 'crazy' takes over.
5 comments:
Sophie often reminded me to behave those last few stressful weeks if pregnancy. "Mom, you want to say sorry to me? You make me sad."
We're lucky we have those little spirits to help us along the way. :P
“You are here on earth for a divine purpose. It is not to be endlessly entertained or to be constantly in full pursuit of pleasure. You are here to be tried, to prove yourself so that you can receive the additional blessings God has for you. The tempering effect of patience is required. Some blessings will be delivered here in this life; others will come beyond the veil. The Lord is intent on your personal growth and development. That progress is accelerated when you willingly allow Him to lead you through every growth experience you encounter, whether initially it be to your individual liking or not.”
Richard G. Scott, Ensign, May 1996, 24
I could see Melody's little face as you recounted the story! She's an awesome little girl! Just remember you are human ! It's our responsibility to strive to put off the natural man.
Oh, that seriously brought tears to my eyes. She even said it so nicely! My daughter likes to bossily say, "Mom you need to say sorry for yelling," which is not always very inspiring. Ha ha
Post a Comment