Thursday, January 1, 2009

Adventures with Melody


Everyday this little girl does something to make me stop and shake my head. Lately we've been working with her on some coping skills because she gets so easily frustrated, and when she's frustrated she will start screaming or throw a tantrum. So we've been practicing taking a deep breath to calm down and then asking for help politely. So far she hasn't manged to do this without prompting, but the other day we were out for a walk and she was holding pepper's leash. Pepper got tangled up and she couldn't get it untangled. She stopped and screamed and when I looked back at her she said, 'I'm sorry mom! I need to take a deep breath.' Then she took some exaggerated deep breaths and said, 'I need help with pepper mom.' I was almost giddy with excitement that she was finally starting to understand and be able to use this with out prompting. It may not seem like a big deal to those of you who have not witnessed one of Melody's tantrums, but to those of you who have I'm sure you see the significance!

1 comment:

Julie said...

She can't help it, she's got Scott in her :-)