Saturday, January 24, 2009

Katelynn's Independence

Katelynn has become incredibly independent lately. She can eat just about anything and is learning how to use a spoon (not with much success, but she certainly tries!). She wanders all over the house finding her favorite toys to play with. When we go to the park she doesn't need any help, she just takes off! She's figured out how to climb the stairs on the playground go through the tubes and get to the slide. Going down the slide is her favorite part and she usually laughs the whole way down. Today she showed a new side of this independence.

I had put the fruit bowl on a lower shelf yesterday to get it off the table while we ate and forgot to put it back up. I usually leave it where Mellie can get to it so she can get a snack without bothering me, but it never occurred to me that Katie might figure out how to get to it.
She toddled off to play like she always does in the morning and I heard a crash. I figured she had just pulled down some toys and didn't bother to investigate. A few minutes later when I hadn't heard any playing noises I decided I better look. This is what found!
She was eating the banana through the skin. She had dumped the fruit bowl on the floor and sifted through it until she found something she could eat. I found an apple with tiny bites taken out of it, but it must have been too much work because she moved on to the banana. I can't believe how efficient she was at devouring that banana without any help!

I can't believe how thoroughly she destroyed this thing. Appetizing huh?

No comments: