I have never had an experience where I genuinely needed the kindness of a stranger. Any need we've ever really had our ward family was quick to meet it. I have fantastic friends I can rely on to be there any time I need them. Today I needed help and even though there were plenty of people around none was offered. No one looked like they even wanted to offer it.
Jared had to work late today so I thought a late afternoon trip to the park would help pass the time more quickly. Melody has been begging me all week to let her ride Katie's bike (she's getting her own for her birthday) so I figured it would be good practice to let her ride the bike to the park.
We got there and there were several different families there playing like usual. The problem started when it was time to go home. Melody put on her helmet, hopped on the bike...and nothing. The chain had fallen off because a bolt had come loose. I sat there for nearly a half an hour trying to fix it while people totally ignored me. They were avoiding looking at me so I took that to mean that they didn't WANT to help, and I suppose that may have been the case. I was blown away! Jared wouldn't have hesitated to at least ask if they needed help. I would've for sure offered to drive the bike home if nothing else. But nothing. Not only nothing at the park, but nothing on the way home where several of our neighbors drove passed me! Here I am 5 months pregnant, two small children in tow trying to carry this silly bike all while ushering the small children as quickly as I could.
My parents set the example from the very beginning. They were never too busy to offer help. Jared continues that by always being available, even when he's dead tired and really doesn't want to, he's there because he knows how much it means. I think I've taken for granted the little 'society' that I live in within the church and not really noticed just how very different we are from the rest of the world. I can guarantee this has opened my eyes and I'll be looking even more for opportunities to offer service!
No comments:
Post a Comment