Wednesday, December 3, 2008

FYI on Melody

Just wanted to put up an update on Melody. For those of you who don't know we had to take Mellie to the hospital last night for dehydration. She had been sick with a stomach bug yesterday starting at about 3 am (why can' those things ever start at a decent hour?) and by 4 that afternoon she still wasn't keeping anything down. I called her doctor and she told me to get her into the ER for IV fluids before the dehydration got really bad. So I called Jared to come home early (having one car really blows at times like this!) and off we went. I told her the doctor was going to have to put a needle in her hand to give her medicine and make her feel better. I told her it would only hurt for a second and the doctor was going to help her feel better. The nurse that did the IV was so good with her and she cried for a second, but they got it in without any problems. That was a big concern for me because when I get dehydrated they cant find veins big enough to use and when they do they end up blowing them. Thanks heavens she takes after her daddy!
Once they got the IV in she looked at the nurse and said "That's gonna make me feel better! Thank you!" It was so cute. Even when she's totally out of it she manages to be a sweetheart! They gave her some medication to calm her stomach so she'd be able to eat, and then started her on the saline drip. After about twenty minutes she was asking for a popsicle so the nurse went and found her one and you'd think he'd just given her gold. She was so excited to be able to eat. Poor kid hadn't been able to keep anything down for 12 hours. After a while the doctor came back to go over the labs with us and told us she had a kidney infection! I had no idea. She hadn't said anything was hurting or showed any other signs. Thank heavens she got so sick, otherwise we wouldn't have found out about the kidney infection until it had gotten really bad. At that point they would've had to hospitalize her. I guess we're being looked out for more than we may realize!
Today she was feeling much better. She's been able to eat and drink without any problems and is already fighting with her sister again so I know she'll be fine. We go back in to the doctor tomorrow and then again in 10 days. So I'll let everyone know whats going on at that point.

No comments: