Since moving here we've had several tornado watches, and at first I was totally freaked out by them, but nothing ever came of them so I quite worrying. Last night we had a tornado watch for most of the night, but I had to go to enrichment night so I didn't worry too much about it. I went and came home and we hadn't even really gotten rain so figured the storm passed us by. About 10 minutes after we got home I heard a strange noise. I thought maybe the bedtime CD the kids were listening to was messed up, but then I walked out of the room and still heard it. I panicked because I was pretty sure it was the tornado siren. I called Jared and we both started running trying to get everything together and into the closet.
The kids were just in diapers because it was so hot so I was scrambling trying to find clothes and shoes and such. Jared grabbed the laptop so we could check the weather and we settled down in the closet. I just kept thinking about all the things I had been meaning to get together but hadn't. You better believe I started today getting an emergency binder together! After 20 minutes or so Jared went out to the living room to check the news because it was more up to date than the internet. They had lifted the warning for our area. The storm went right over us at about 50 mph so it was going really fast!
I called our friends Blake and Ydais to check on them and Blake told me that the sirens can go off in just a really bad thunderstorm. I guess they go by wind speeds. I was of the understanding that the sirens only went off if a tornado had actually touched down. If I had known I probably wouldn't have freaked out so bad! I was up until almost 1 because I couldn't calm down! The ironic thing is that I had just been telling my mom that day how much I love it here and I really don't want to go back to Utah. This weather may be too much for my nerves!
1 comment:
:-) do not panic at all Tasha, its just Tornado alley Texas! hopefully the girls didnt get scare at all and yes it will be a great idea if you get together a emergency kit which I am sure you will do and also purchase an NOAA Weather Radio that will warn you when severe weather is in the area.
But for now Enjoy Texas... the tornado season ends pretty soon :-)is from March through May.
Post a Comment