This dress pattern that kept popping up on her blog here, here and here got me thinking. It's a really simple, straight forward pattern, but what I saw was an empty canvas just waiting to be made beautiful. There are so many options with this dress. I've actually made two dresses and two shirts out of this by just shortening it. Luckily I can make a dress for Katie and it'll fit Melody as a long shirt, then Katie can just grow into Melody's dresses. These will last for ever!
I've actually had a couple of these done for a while it just takes a little extra effort to get my models to cooperate for pictures. Good thing they're so cute!
This was the first one I made and it was SO easy! The dress made up in under two hours start to finish, and then I added the waist band later. I did a running stitch across the front and then gathered it slightly before I sewed on the waistband. I'm really happy with how it turned out.
This one was tough, I would not suggest doing this with denim unless your accustomed to swearing! Maybe it's just that I'm a rookie, but the thickness of the material made for a well used seam ripper! I think I'm going to either add some belt loops to keep the sash where it's supposed to be, or do the same as I did with Katie's and put in a gather and sew the sash down. I can't decide what would look better, so until I do I'm just going to leave it alone.
I used the 2T size to make this shirt because Melody is such a skinny mini. I really like this one. I would wear this if I could. All we need is some pig tails and cowgirl boots and we'll have a cute little country girl!
I'm not overly fond of this one. I think if the material had been reversed it would've turned out better. I really like how the waist band on this one works. I'm thinking about doing a dress like this only with a dropped waist so the top will be kind of billowy. Also, maybe have the ties come out on both sides instead of just the one. I'm definitely going to make a few more like this one!
Wal-Mart has solid long sleeve shirts for $3.50 right now. I'm going to get a few to go under these so they'll last all winter. Thankfully it won't get cold here for a while longer!
2 comments:
I LOVE them! Thanks SO much for sharing! It is my favorite pattern. So versatile. I'm actually using it to make my daughter's flower girl dress for my sister's wedding!
The BEST tees I have ever found and they are the only long sleeves I like are the ones from GAP. The little scalloped border makes them a little dressier too. They run about $9 and they sometimes are on the sale rack for $3 and $4. They are REALLY long and go well under dresses and the kids don't grow out of them as fast as others!
http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=49691&vid=1&pid=665879&scid=665879092
super cute! I LOVE that ladies blog as well, she makes amazing things.
(oh I looked at the two wrap dressed I have, and they are both from Old Navy)
Post a Comment