Tuesday, October 20, 2009

COSTUMES!

Growing up my mom often outdid herself at Halloween. She always made our costumes, and they were always very different. I remember the year I was the night sky. She dressed me head to toe in black then wrapped me with that sparkly wire with the foil stars attached. Then there was the year she thought it would be a good idea to make me a Christmas present. I was 13 and I still can't figure out how she talked me into that one. Imagine a 4x4x4 box wrapped in cheery paper with holes for my head and arms. Needless to say, it ended badly! Due to her incredible creativity she has acquired quite the collection of Halloween costumes that will no longer fit anyone at her house, except maybe Taylor, but I don't think he's terribly interested in dressing up in a flapper dress this year!

Being the kind hearted person she is, she sent some my way. I told Melody we had a box coming from Grandma Carter and she's been watching for it ever since. Today when we got the notice that there was a package in the office she was nearly beside herself with excitement! She speculated all the way there and back what could possibly be in it. I actually told her what was in it and she replied, 'No mom! It's a surprise!' So I just let her continue spinning her tale of what was in there.

When we got home she darted up the stairs and yelled, 'I'll clean up the floor so you can open it!' Of course cleaning the floor consisted of picking everything up off the floor and dumping it on the couch, but it's the thought that counts right? Once I got it opened the girls dug right in. I barely managed to get the present for me that was on top out of the way (btw thanks guys!). I got a cute video of them exploring what was in it (check out the video bar on the side). Then we tried everything on and posed for pics. Well, Mellie posed, Katie tore them off as fast as I put them on. She was ready for the next one! Most of them are just a little too big for Mellie, but I think I've got Halloween covered for like the next 4 years! Not to mention dress up clothes! I may never get that leotard and tutu back from Mellie :)

After she put this on I told her to dance like a ballerina. She started bustin a move. I'm not sure she's dainty ballerina material :)


I think this will still fit next year. I wore this when I was 4, but I wasn't a giant like Melody! She insisted that she could not be a clown unless she had a squishy nose. No idea where she got that but in lieu of a attachable nose she just held up the pompom so she would look like a proper clown!



This one was Whit's I think. My mom made Whitney and Cassie both flappers one year. They had head bands and everything. We're going to have to make another one for Mellie, seriously, so cute!Katie adored it! She kept looking down and twirling so she could watch the shimmery sparkle!

I think Cassie wore this when she was about 4, but she was a teeny little thing so she could've been older. Won't fit Mellie much longer though. She insisted that she pull the pants up above her belly button because it wasn't modest to show her tummy! I misted up with tears of joy! If we can just hang on to that mentality!



Katie couldn't see because the hat was too big, but she refused to take it off!

I remember wearing this when I was 6 or 7. Seeing all of these makes me feel old!

No comments: