Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Finally...the sun!

It has been a dreary and wet start to October here in East Texas! It rained the first 15 days of the month. Ordinarily I like the rain, but here we get freak thunder and lightening storms that come out of no where. A girl died recently after being hit by lightening and a house burned to the ground a few days later. It's nuts! Needless to say these instances make me a little leery about being outside. However, I had recently revamped my dedication to my daily workout and decided to take the risk. If it started raining too hard we'd just take cover under someones front porch for a minute until it passed. I mean, are they really going to tell me no? Now that we've made it past that very long two weeks we are now enjoying some very comfortable, very Texas weather and the kids and I love it!

So far I've made it three weeks with the daily workouts and I'm off to a good start on my fourth week. I mapped out a two mile loop that ends at the park up the street, so I could do my running/walking and the kids would get to play at the end of it all. When I first started it was taking me 45 minutes to do the whole loop, sad right?! Today I made it in 25 minutes! WAHOO! I was so excited that I called Jared the minute I reached the park to tell him. He's been so supportive of this whole get healthy kick I've been on.

Melody and I have talked about why I run and how it's important to take care of our bodies. She decided that she also needed to be getting more exercise so she now runs the first quarter to half mile with me. She actually runs fast enough that I have to do a slow jog to keep up! She's so cute, she tells me, 'We just have to make it to that stop sign and we can rest. You can do it mommy!' My own little cheerleader! Then when we make it to the stop sign she has to do a little dance and give high five's, then we're off to the next stop on the run!

Once we get to the park I let Katie get out and run with Melody. It's too funny watching them. If Melody jumps on a certain spot Katie makes a point of doing it also. If Mellie stops to look at something interesting, Katie quickly catches up so she can observe along with her. My favorite is when Melody will just randomly stop and drop to the ground then groan, 'Katie! I fell! Help me up!' Then Katie hustles along to help her sister stand back up. It's a hoot!

Katie's new favorite thing to do at the park is not the slides, nor the swings, it's chasing the birds! We have these really horrible birds here that make the worst squawking noise and they are everywhere. I swear they taunt Katie. She'll spot them and try to run up and catch them, so obviously, they fly away. However, they don't fly to the trees or anything out of reach. No they fly about ten feet the opposite direction. Katie will watch them for a minute to make sure they're not going to fly away again, then she takes off as fast as her legs will let her go. The birds then fly back to the spot they were in before. I like to call this the back and forth game. It's pretty entertaining and it definitely gives Katie a work out!

I hoping that the good weather will hold on for at least another month. Once it starts actually getting cold I'll have to do just the run and only let the kids play on the sunny days. At least we don't have to worry about snow stopping us! There are some things about Utah that I simply do not miss!

No comments: