I think we are officially potty trained!!! I'm tearing up as I write this that's how happy I am. It's been a battle from the very beginning, but she finally figured it out. I give a great amount of credit to my sister in law, Alexis, for giving me the cloth diaper idea. That's what pushed her over the edge. I hate to say it, but Melody is simply lazy about going potty. Why on earth should she stop what she's doing to run into the bathroom if she could sit the in a diaper and not have to worry about it. The cloth diapers weren't nearly as comfortable and after only two days of them she started asking for panties. Now we have been wearing panties for going on a week (we took a break one day for six flags) and she's only having one accident a day if any at all! I was having to remind her to go every so often, but now she just takes care of it. She still wants a cloth diaper at night, but she's waking up dry so next week I may start encouraging her to wear the panties to bed too.
I've pretty much got Katie exclusively on the cloth. She's a really heavy wetter, so we have to do disposable at night, but during the day I keep her in the cloth. She's also not liking the feeling too much and will bring me a diaper every so often when she's decided it's time to change. I've given up for the time being on making my own covers. Too much hassle. I found a hole in the wall store out here called Diaper Mart that has pretty amazing prices on everything. I got my diaper pins for $0.89 for 6 and I paid over $3 at babies-r-us for the EXACT same thing. They also had some terry cloth , plastic lined 'training pants' that work great for covers. They were only $1.49 so got a few of those also. Hopefully in the near future I'll either figure out how to make my diapers all in one's or just find a better fitting cover pattern.
My new project is home made wipes. I figure it would be easier to have cloth wipes and just wash the whole mess instead of having to throw away the dirty wipe before putting the diaper in the pail. I'm just going to use the left over fabric from the diapers and hem the edges so they don't fray. I did some research and the recipe for wipe solution is pretty much consistently the same everywhere I've looked:
2 T baby wash
2 T baby oil or olive oil
2 C water
I've also read that adding a little white vinegar will help with diaper rash, tea tree oil will act as a disinfectant, chamomile and lavender will act a a soothing agent for the skin and also help relax baby. I have the basic ingredients, but as soon as I have some extra cash we're heading over to GNC for some essential oil shopping! Then I can make some bath salts too!
I just needed to share our victory with you all so you could rejoice with me!
2 comments:
Good for you! :) We went and bought Sophie a potty a few days ago so she can get used to the idea. Go out and celebrate!
Huzzah! That is soooo exciting! I'm glad you found the tricked that worked for Melody. Personally I have really enjoyed not spending so much money on diapers and wipes.
Post a Comment