Thursday, July 30, 2009

cloth wipes

I made a bunch of wipes last night and it took a lot longer than I thought it would. I had to get them done because I'm nearly out of regular wipes and I'm just not spending any more money on them!

I figured we do about 7-10 diapers a day with 2 wipes each so I made 40 to start. I made them roughly 6"x8" depending on the size of the scrap I was cutting. They're no where near exact, nor are they at all straight, but really considering what I'm using them for I don't really think it matters! I did a zig-zag stitch around the edge to keep them from fraying. This is what took so much time because I did a fairly short stitch so it would reinforce it better. I think my stitch width was a 3 and the length was a 1. I had to refill my bobbin 3 times!! I started using them today and already like them better! Because they are cloth they wipe up better so I only need one instead of the usual two I use of the disposable wipes. Also I used the recipe from the last post, but it seemed like too much so I halved it. This morning the wipes were barely damp, it needed the whole 2 cups! I just thought I would pass along this info in case anyone else wants to give these a try.

I think if someone had told me a year ago that not only would I be cloth diapering today, but that I would be making them myself I would have laughed myself silly. I really can't believe how easy and so much more affordable this is. Also I love that we're that much more self sufficient. No more late night runs to the store because we're on the last few diapers!

3 comments:

Lexi said...

You use them for the poop too? I just don't really feel like handling the poop, so we use disposable wipes for that. But we use cloth for pee. Our cloth wipes are just oodles of baby wash cloths that never get used.

Julie said...

Good for you! You are more women then I am :-)

Mrs N said...

Look at you, ready to join the pioneers! Lol That's totally impressive. I looked into cloth diapering, and decided, eh, that looks like too much work! Props to you!