Sunday, December 13, 2009

For the love of reading...

I have always adored reading. I can remember when I was really little my dad made it a rule that I had to read a certain number of books before I could go to bed each night. I don't remember if I liked the idea at the time, but I remember really enjoying it. That habit at home turned me into the nerdy kid that got in trouble for reading ahead of the class! I really appreciate all the efforts my parents put in to make sure that I would develop that love. So I have tried, from the very beginning, to surround my kids with all kinds of books hoping they would develop the same love. I would say it's worked.

Melody adores reading. She has most of her books memorized and reads them to herself at quiet time. When we go to Garden Ridge she can easily spend forever just standing at all the tables looking at books. The library? She gets lost. She just wants to plop her butt down in the middle of the isle and go through the books one by one. Recently I started reading chapter books with her at night to help her not only transition to stories with no pictures, but to help (hopefully) increase her attention span. When we started reading it she said, "MOM! This books broke, it doesn't have pictures!" When I explained that she needed to use her imagination and make the pictures in her mind she thought about it a minute then said, "Huh, I guess I could do that." Silly child!

Katie is following to true to her sister. She likes doing things that Melody does and would sit and look at books just because Melody was. Now she won't let us leave the room at night with out giving her a stack of books, and she doesn't hesitate to call us back to get her more! She'll carry random books around the house with her and move from place to place reading it along the way. My favorite is when they get a hold of my books and pretend to read them!

I just love both of these videos. The quality is kinda poor because we had to hide to get them, My kids love the spot light, but when I actually want video of what they're doing they'll stop doing it! Go figure!





1 comment:

Mrs N said...

That's so cute. I've always loved reading too, and am constantly reading, so I'm not surprised my kids have followed my lead. My daughter often has so many books in her bed I'm not quite sure where her body fits! As for my son, it's like books suddenly clicked for him and he'll bring me book after book to read to him. I love it!

On a related note, are you on Goodreads? If yes, let's friend up! If not, let me know, I'll send you a friend invite.